Who is the Audience for Eat, Pray, Love?

16 Aug

I was asking my sister what kind of people will watch Eat, Pray, Love this weekend and claim it changed their lives. (Probably the same people who read and saw The Notebook and wouldn’t shut up about it) I told her it was only for privileged, elitist liberals with entitlement issues and I couldn’t possibly relate, except for the “elitist liberal” part.

But Richard Lawson hits the nail right on the head. He is a GENIUS. Love him.

EAT PRAY LOVEThis movie about how some old lady decided to spend her boss’s money flitting about god knows where for a year did pretty good, I guess, but whatever. Probably a bunch of sad single women with like curly hair and glasses and stuff, all crying and eating ice cream in the theater and telling each other they’re not fat, even though they’re all fat and they all look like ninth grade English teachers. (Probably because they all are ninth grade English teachers.) And then they drive home in their shitty Toyotas and the whole house smells like cat and air freshener and it’s yogurt and some pita bread over the sink for dinner again tonight and then sitting on the couch watching taped (on VHS) episodes of Lois & Clark and the Jeremy Piven Cupid and Roswell, patting their laps wanting the cat to jump up and cuddle with them, but this cat is different, not the same as Daisy-Mins, who died last February, no this one is way more aloof and scratches sometimes, but they just wear longer sleeves at work so you don’t notice the marks. And after a while it’s maybe some tea and some cookies straight from the bag and then upstairs to sleep, the ceiling fan rattling quietly, the dim red of the alarm clock casting a strange glow on the doilied nightstand. And lying there in the quiet, they think about Julia Roberts in the movie and how she rode a bicycle clear across Bali, and they think about how faraway things feel, all the time now, more and more every day. YEAH, FUCK THEM. EXPENDABLES, AWW YEAHHHHH.

(I used to have taped episodes of Lois & Clark on VHS, I swear to God.)

And Scott Pilgrim only made 10.5 million this weekend. WHERE WERE YOU GEEKS AND HIPSTERS?!? Even my dude was like, “Um, to be honest, I’d rather watch that Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell movie.” YOU ARE KILLING MICHAEL CERA’S CAREER WITH YOUR AMBIVALENCE!! DON’T YOU CARE?!? (Some of you are Jesse Eisenberg fans, aren’t you?)

[via Gawker]

The One (The Selection)
Kiera Cass Download: $10.80

9 Responses to “Who is the Audience for Eat, Pray, Love?”

1. Jennifer August 16, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

I went to see Scott Pilgrim this weekend–note that I live in a geek town, albeit one where a lot of people are gone in summer– and there was no geekline at the door. There were maybe 25-30ish people in the theater with me. And I was for the most part the only one laughing at the show (to the point where I suspect they were all irritated with me). I was all, what the hell?

2. Charlene August 16, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

Oh, good. I hadn’t been exposed to ignorant stereotypes about middle-aged women in at least ten minutes.

Why is he so bitter about women my age? Is it mommy issues? Because I would bet him a million dollars that none of those women fit the stereotype he so desperately clings to in an attempt to think of them as less human than he is. I feel sorry for anyone who has to negate the humanity of any group to feel smug and self-satisfied, but why do so many guys pick the group I belong to?

3. Mina August 17, 2010 at 9:24 am #

Thank you for this post. I was going on about this movie to my best friend and she was like “why are you taking this movie so personally”. I honestly did not have an answer for that though. There’s just something about the concept that annoys the crap out of me.

4. Kama Spice August 17, 2010 at 6:12 pm #

Totally agree with Charlene. Charlene, maybe it’s because men need to see women who choose NOT TO BE WITH MEN after a certain age in that light. Like, if she’s not with a guy by that age, there has to be something wrong with HER. Ugh. What. Ever.

But, yes, EPL is massively problematic. Here’s my favoritest re-do of the poster (have NO idea how to do links on here #htmlFAIL):

I particularly love the caption at the bottom, heh heh.

5. bam August 17, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

I was just impressed by the sheer amount of pop culture references Richard Lawson managed to insert in that one paragraph. I think he’s a hilarious and clever writer.

6. Hey Lady! August 25, 2010 at 8:27 pm #

Wow. That was an awesome visual.

And it does seem that elitist liberals seem to love that book and now movie, interesting… I have never seen or read either. Not my thing.

I’ll admit to having VHS tapes of Lois and Clark when I was in high school. And I have Roswell on DVD. BUT I didn’t go see Eat, Pray, Love, so there’s that…

7. Emma Petersen September 3, 2010 at 5:02 am #

Not sure if I’m going to see this flick or not. I wish I was brave like her flitting to Bali *shrugs* or where ever she went but I’m a chicken and terrified of ending up like Clair Danes in Brokedown Palace. I’m just saying.

8. wood dash kits September 3, 2010 at 10:45 pm #

I want to emphasize that the weekend opening of Angelina Jolie Salt earn more than the premiere of The Expelled, all male action stars of the last century. And Angelina did all by himself

9. Lora December 18, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

Ahhh, the cliches, how quaint of you to repeat them.

I’ll say it. I went to the theater to see EPL. I thought the book was funny although the narrator was a bit overwrought about her fairly standard difficulties.

News Flash: I’m not middle aged. I’m not single. I’m not fat. Nor did I watch Titanic, The Notebook, nor any Twilight films. And I enjoyed this movie. Richard Jenkins, in fact, gave a fine performance–only the second I have seen this year that I deemed Oscar-worthy (The first being Annette Bening in The Kids Are All Right).

But thank you for saving me a regular blog stop. I wandered over here from SBTB. I will now wander back.

PS I am allergic to cats. Sorry to threaten your tidy hypothesis. I will choose to imagine (unfairly and unflatteringly, as is our MO today) that its writer is an likely an unwashed chauvenist living with three roommates and suffering from underemployment due to his superiority complex? Certainly he is uncomfortable with women seeking self actualization.